Certificate IV in Training And Assessment (TAE40116)
On 1 April 2016, the Australian Industry and Skills Committee (AISC) announced that they had approved an update to the TAE Training and Education Training Package. This update included the endorsement of the TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment which replaces the TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment.
How do the TAE40110 and TAE40116 qualifications compare?
In many ways the TAE40110 and TAE40116 qualifications are quite similar, both requiring the completion of 10 units of competency, many of which have been deemed equivalent to one another. Key differences include:
- Entry requirement – Those wishing to undertake the TAE40116 must be able to demonstrate vocational competency in their proposed teaching and assessing area (there was no entry requirement for TAE40110)
- Core units – Two units have been added to the core of TAE40116, namely TAELLN411 Address adult language, literacy and numeracy skills, and TAEASS502 Design and develop assessment tools. These were elective units under TAE40110.
- Assessment units – Modifications have been made to the assessment requirements of three of the core assessment units (TAEASS401, TAEASS402 and TAEASS403) to increase the amount of evidence that candidates need to provide for these units.
- Group-based delivery – For the core unit TAEDEL401 Facilitate group-based learning, candidates are now required to show that they have delivered at least 3 training sessions to a group of 8 or more learners (the group size was not specified for the TAE40110 version of the unit)
The packaging rules for the two qualifications can be found at the following links.
- TAE40116: http://training.gov.au/Training/Details/TAE40116
- TAE40110: http://training.gov.au/Training/Details/TAE40110
Five of the seven core units in the TAE40110 have been deemed ‘equivalent’ to corresponding core units from the TAE40116.
When will Training Services Australia begin offering the TAE40116?
Training Services Australia plans to begin offering the TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment in the first half of 2017. Our ability to do this will be subject to:
a. Approval from our regulating body to include the qualification in our scope of registration, and
b. The development of new courses and supporting materials
The application process for organisations wishing to deliver the TAE40116 qualification is significantly more stringent than for non-TAE qualifications and consequently the application and approval process is likely to take longer than normal.
What should I do in the meantime?
Until Training Services Australia begins offering the TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment, your options include:
- Enrol in the TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment and complete this qualification, including all training and assessment, before the cut-off date (4 October 2017), or
- Enrol in the TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment, then transition your enrolment to the TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment when TSA begins offering it, or
- Wait until TSA begins offering the TAE40116 qualification
What are the benefits of enrolling in the TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment?
The benefits of enrolling in the TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment include:
- You can enrol sooner
- For some of the units, the evidence requirements are not as onerous as the replacement units in the TAE40116, meaning less work for you to do
- It is likely to be cheaper than the TAE40116
What are the benefits of enrolling in the TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment?
The benefits of enrolling in the TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment (when it becomes available) include:
- It is the most current qualification
- It is possible that changes will be made to the Standards for RTOs in the future which will require trainers and assessors that work for RTOs to hold the TAE40116 qualification
If I enrol in the TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment, when must I finish it by?
Training Services Australia is permitted to train, assess and issue certification for the TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment until 4 October 2017.
If you are unable to complete your qualification (including all assessment activities) by this time, you will need to transition to the TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment. At this stage, Training Services Australia is unsure when it will cease to deliver TAE40110 training courses and commence offering TAE40116 courses. We will advise students by email once this information is known.
What will the transition arrangements be?
Transition arrangements will apply to those who commence the TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment and then wish to transfer their enrolment to the TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment.
The transition arrangements will differ according to each person’s circumstances. Wherever possible, Training Services Australia will give credit for units completed as part of the TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment. However, as a result of changes to the qualification units and packaging rules, the transition may involve:
- Attendance at additional training
- Additional assessments
- Additional cost
The additional cost will depend on the amount of additional training and assessment you need to complete.
If I complete the TAE40110, will I be able to ‘upgrade’ my qualification to the TAE40116 at a later date?
Yes, it will be possible to ‘upgrade’ from the TAE40110 to the TAE40116.
Details of the ‘upgrade’ process are not yet available, but it is expected to involve some additional training, some additional assessment activities, and some additional cost.
How can I find out more?
If you would like further advice about how to proceed, please contact a TSA Training Advisor on 08 9422 6444.